It’s finally over. After Donald Trump won 51 delegates in Indiana, Ted Cruz suspended his presidential bid, making the businessman’s path to winning the Republican nomination for White House clear.
The Indians results made it clear that the race is over
The announcement was made on Tuesday night, after the results of the Indiana primary, the state that he was hoping to keep him in the race until the Republican convention, were announced.
“Tonight, I’m sorry to say, it appears that path has been foreclosed,” Ted Cruz said. “Together, we left it all on the field in Indiana.”
The Senator announce that he will continues its “fight for liberty”, but didn’t mentioned anything about supporting Donald Trump as the nominee, which, considering the accusations he released over the past days, it’s less likely to happen.
Ted Cruz was the first major candidate to announce a presidential run last year, says The Washington Post. Also, he dedicated the last two weeks to campaigning in Indiana, hoping that announcements like naming former HP CEO Carly Fiorina as running mate will keep his candidacy afloat.
Yesterday, before the Indiana results were announced, Cruz’s patience reached its peak, as he called Donald Trump, between others, a “pathological liat” and a “narcissist”, after the businessman accused Rafael Cruz, Ted Cruz‘s father, of being implied in the assassination of JFK.
Ted Cruz was more than optimistic a few months ago
Back in February, the Texas Senator’s campaign was at its top, after he won the Iowa caucuses, but it suddenly went down after surprising loses in South Carolina and Georgia, two states where he was expecting to obtain positive results.
When he announced his candidacy, Ted Cruz was seen as an underdog, way too religious and conservative to go past the early nominating contests, but here we are, with him being the last one being defeated by Trump.
“Our movement will continue, and I give you my word that I will continue this fight with all of my strength and all of my ability,” Cruz said.