The government of North Korea have been reported to have rejected proposal by America to have them resume talks on abandoning there nuclear program on Saturday, but said it would welcome negotiations for a peace treaty with Washington.
The statement was made by North Korea’s foreign ministry just about 24hours after President Obama and South Korean President Park Geun-hye said they were ready to open talks with Pyongyang on sanctions if they were serious about dissolving its nuclear program, according to Reuters.
“If the United States insists on taking a different path, the Korean peninsula will only see our unlimited nuclear deterrent being strengthened further,” North Korea said in a statement.
Obama, during a meeting with Park on Friday, said Iran had been prepared to have a “serious conversation” about the possibility of giving up the pursuit of nuclear weapons. He added that there’s no such indication in North Korea’s case.
“At the point where Pyongyang says, `We’re interested in seeing relief from sanctions and improved relations, and we are prepared to have a serious conversation about denuclearization,’ it’s fair to say we’ll be right there at the table,” Obama told a joint news conference.
In a joint statement issued after Friday’s meeting, the U.S. and South Korea said that if North Korea decides to launch another rocket into space or test a nuclear explosion, “it will face consequences, including seeking further significant measures by the U.N. Security Council.” The statement also revealed they would never accept North Korea as a nuclear weapons state.
Source: Fox News